Re: [hatari-devel] Strange distortions when booting in fullscreen

On 5.9.2021 11.27, Thorsten Otto wrote:
On Sonntag, 5. September 2021 00:22:40 CEST Eero Tamminen wrote:
I have noticed fullscreen toggling to affect
this, so that Hatari does not restore the original
filtering when coming back

I forgot that I did some improvements after last
release, e.g. this:
https://git.tuxfamily.org/hatari/hatari.git/commit/?id=0f644d708897dd1aa72fe4512010c79f1ebcd969

I could not reproduce that problem any more,
but I'm not sure whether that's due to my
improvements, or because this is very specific
to what Hatari screen and monitor resolution
sizes are.

(And how they match with Hatari's Atari screen
border size and screen scaling calculations.)

Hm, that would mean the original filtering mode is bad, and after switching it
only looks ok by chance?

If you're not using Git version of Hatari,
could you test one?

BTW, similar effect can also be achieved by using some system key that pops up
some dialog (alt-tab or similar), causing Hatari to loose the focus.

Many compositors can disable compositing for
fullscreen applications, and turn it temporarily
back while there's some system dialog on top of it.

That should not affect the fullscreen window
size though.  If it does, that sounds like a bug
in your desktop compositor / window manager.

If the issue still happens with Hatari Git
version, could you enable DEBUG define in
src/screen.c and check what Hatari outputs
when that problem happens? [1]

BTW2, its not only the Atari screen that is affected, also the SDL GUI.

All Hatari drawing happens to same SDL buffer,
so there's no way that the scaling SDL does when
it draws the final buffer contents to screen,
could treat Hatari GUI parts differently.

	- Eero

[1] Under X, one could also debug what is done
to the Hatari fullscreen window, by taking ssh
connection from another computer, and running
following:
$ hid=(xwininfo -root -tree | awk '/"hatari"/{print $1}')
$ xev -id $hid