Re: [hatari-devel] Hatari video recording

I commited some updates to the video recording doc:
https://git.tuxfamily.org/hatari/hatari.git/commit/?id=cdf2a61d3bbeeedd705a4e63a4582a3b5684ceef

Does it need further updating?

	- Eero

On 11/21/20 7:02 PM, Eero Tamminen wrote:
Hatari includes a doc on video recording (added in 2015):
https://hatari.tuxfamily.org/doc/video-recording.txt

On 11/21/20 3:14 PM, Vincent Rivière wrote:
On 19/11/2020 at 10:46, Douglas Little wrote:
Anyway the videos recorded below that limit work well - no frame drops in the recording and FFMPEG can convert the stream to MP4 no problem.

When I recorded my Lethal Xcess Longplay with Hatari, 2 years ago, I struggled a lot.

I tried PNG compression, but it was too slow, so I finally used uncompressed AVI output. Of course, I quickly hit the 4 GB limit. So I used a newer Hatari build on Linux where it was fixed.

Another issue was the video resolution. By default, the Hatari window is zoomed 2 or 3 times to avoid a tiny window on a big screen. That's very fine. Unfortunately, the video output uses such zoomed resolution. This causes a video output resolution bigger than the native Atari resolution. I consider this as unexpected. Hatari should fix that, or at least, provide an option.

As you found out, there are "--max-width" and
"--max-height" options to control Hatari frame
buffer size.

Hatari will by default maintain (approximately)
same size for Hatari window regardless of
resolution i.e. emulate what a real Atari monitor
would do.

Consequence is that uncompressed video files become more and more huge. Finally, I used this solution: run hatari with --max-width 400. So I played with a tiny window. This was not easy, specially for a shoot'em up, but I finally managed to do what I planned.

With Hatari Git, and next release version, one can
use "--zoom" option to scale Hatari framebuffer to
screen with SDL2.

With SDL1, only thing you can do, is to use full
screen mode and let your own monitor do the Hatari
output scaling to screen.

I'll add notes about these to the doc.

Finally, I recorded each level separately. This produced several AVI files between 5 and 8 GB. Then I post-processed that with ffmpeg. And finally, I'm pretty glad of the result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCmZTtKgfhs

Despite difficulties, many thanks to the Hatari team for having made this possible.

I have only one regret: I was persuaded that YouTube only allowed 16/9 videos. This is completely wrong. It actually allow custom ratios, such as 1350x1080. But as I didn't know that, I letterboxed my video in 16/9. This doesn't matter on computer screens, but it shows ugly side bands when watched vertically on smartphone. Anyway, I will fix that in future videos. Rule of thumb: never letterbox videos, use original ratios.

According to Hatari video recording doc:

"If the end goal is Youtube, it is recommended to
run Hatari's AVI output through ffmpeg to do
nearest neighbor upscale to 1080p. Then Youtube
will keep the 50 FPS and you have non-fuzzy pixels
in the recording.
Above adds padding to 1920*1080 size, that can be
removed if you trust the re-encoder/player to
scale properly (which has been known to fail)."