Re: [hatari-devel] Hatari video recording

On 19/11/2020 at 10:46, Douglas Little wrote:
Anyway the videos recorded below that limit work well - no frame drops in the recording and FFMPEG can convert the stream to MP4 no problem.

When I recorded my Lethal Xcess Longplay with Hatari, 2 years ago, I struggled a lot.

I tried PNG compression, but it was too slow, so I finally used uncompressed AVI output. Of course, I quickly hit the 4 GB limit. So I used a newer Hatari build on Linux where it was fixed.

Another issue was the video resolution. By default, the Hatari window is zoomed 2 or 3 times to avoid a tiny window on a big screen. That's very fine. Unfortunately, the video output uses such zoomed resolution. This causes a video output resolution bigger than the native Atari resolution. I consider this as unexpected. Hatari should fix that, or at least, provide an option. Consequence is that uncompressed video files become more and more huge. Finally, I used this solution: run hatari with --max-width 400. So I played with a tiny window. This was not easy, specially for a shoot'em up, but I finally managed to do what I planned.

Finally, I recorded each level separately. This produced several AVI files between 5 and 8 GB. Then I post-processed that with ffmpeg. And finally, I'm pretty glad of the result:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCmZTtKgfhs

Despite difficulties, many thanks to the Hatari team for having made this possible.

I have only one regret: I was persuaded that YouTube only allowed 16/9 videos. This is completely wrong. It actually allow custom ratios, such as 1350x1080. But as I didn't know that, I letterboxed my video in 16/9. This doesn't matter on computer screens, but it shows ugly side bands when watched vertically on smartphone. Anyway, I will fix that in future videos. Rule of thumb: never letterbox videos, use original ratios.

--
Vincent Rivière