Re: [hatari-devel] Open Hatari in big window

On 3/3/20 8:25 AM, Thomas Huth wrote:
Am Mon, 2 Mar 2020 22:58:18 +0200
On 3/2/20 4:14 PM, Thomas Huth wrote:
Looks reasonable to me at a first glance. Do we also want to support
floating point values for the -z parameter, too? In that case, you
also have to replace the "atoi()" there.

Attached patch does that, but then I needed to
modify also RenderQuality, as linear scaling will
look horrible with non-integer scaling factors,
whereas that's the only one that doesn't blur
the output when using integer scaling factor.

I don't think that modifying RenderQuality automatically is such a good
idea here. That will only cause confusion e.g. when the users have a
look at their hatari.cfg afterwards and wonder why the setting was
changed...

If it's set automatically to the best value,
user option could be removed. :-)

Then Hatari should probably react also to window
size change events, and change render quality
settings based on whether user resized window to
non-integer zoom...

I'd say, don't touch RenderQuality here, and if someone minds the
"horrible" scaling (it's a matter of taste anyway),

Attached are screenshots of the results for
comparison.  In monochrome it can look even worse.

(It's easy to test by toggling "Linear scaling"
option in in the options GUI and resizing Hatari
window.)

they should change the RenderQuality setting manually instead.

In that case, there should be at least command
line option for it, so that user can set it
along with the zoom option.

I'm OK either way.

Btw. Why there's an option for disabling
SdlRenderer usage, is it e.g. because it needs
working GLES support, and all platforms might
not have that?

I'm asking because patch currently uses
SdlRenderer regardless of the SdlRenderer config
option value, when zooming is needed (as SDL
supports scaling only with SdlRenderer).

I think Hatari window resize option should work
that way too, i.e. Renderer would be automatically
used also when window resizing is enabled.

(This should just be documented, along with
explanation why/where the renderer use might
be a problem.  If it's bad enough issue,
there could be also a build time option to
ifdef out functionality needing SdlRenderer.)