Re: [hatari-devel] Re: Problems with GEMDOS drive support

On 20 Sep 2018 at 1:12, Eero Tamminen wrote:

> Without knowing:
> * how many partitions Hatari counted from the IDE images
> * where Hatari decided to put the GEMDOS HD as a result,
> * and whether it actually was visible as that drive
>    (after doing "install devices")
>
> It's hard to say whether "GEMDOS HD was visible" or not. :-)

I decided to start from scratch here, and now I can't reproduce my problem, but
I can reproduce MiKRO's.  I am running Hatari 2.1.0.

I have an ACSI hard disk image which I use all the time with the MegaSTe
emulation.  To create an IDE image, I did a dd with conv=swab.

I then booted with the attached config file.  I expected that I would see hard
disk partitions C:->F: from the disk image file, and partition G: from GEMDOS
emulation.  Instead I saw partition C: from the GEMDOS emulation, and
partitions D: ->F: from the disk image file.

So from what you say above, it seems that Hatari thought that the hard disk
image had no partitions, and put the GEMDOS drive at C:, but AHDI thought
everything was fine, and assigned C:->F: for the 4 partitions.

Since it all works fine with the ACSI hard disk image on the MegaSTe, it seems
to me that it must be a problem with Hatari's handling of IDE disk images.
Looking quickly at the Hatari source, Ide_Init() uses HDC_Partition_Count() to
count partitions, but HDC_Partition_Count() does not seem to take into account
that the image file is swabbed, so presumably will always count 0 partitions.

Please try the attached config file and see if you encounter the same problems,
then you should be easily able to determine the cause.  Conversely, if you have
actually gotten the "GEMDOS drive after ACSI/IDE drives" option to work
successfully with an emulated Falcon, please post your config file here & I
will try it on my system.

Regards,
Roger