|Re: [hatari-devel] Logging prefixes|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/hatari-devel Archives
- To: hatari-devel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [hatari-devel] Logging prefixes
- From: Thomas Huth <th.huth@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Sun, 6 May 2018 22:03:08 +0200
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/simple; d=posteo.de; s=2017; t=1525636989; bh=BGoWavZANaovitRiCdDjl+qPQjlS9EAEeBvYDssbF+s=; h=Date:From:To:Subject:From; b=pUaWdK4iwEvg1NE+D0PEFyJSDpzYvVykpcsr6J8mp9SARhybsf0rj9+Wj+y/zDA7m NXG4yDwJeinHS4f9arS88fiM2/dJmlHq2TsraJ2q/do2h1OHRnCEDnL200oXU6f6n6 BFgsC7NfbiCz6b3M0QBam7o9KbaBgQkWo/oAZBrls2VGZQTtCzX50Kmd50NJSmJHwq hsrjCg+EJAd5vDucb30H4xmyXGCZ6kv6bRezirS6yvV0Gr94o6huaY4Cc9aQ5vho8v GJGiKfel5AgNKKhnJyD/uPU4VnSfMy+vEIAskfTpoMwxALO26uBFgXJxxPM37za0nc J0zSWifhg0laQ==
Am Sun, 6 May 2018 11:26:55 +0300
schrieb Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On 05/05/2018 11:00 PM, Thomas Huth wrote:
> > Am Sun, 29 Apr 2018 20:16:28 +0300
> > schrieb Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >> Everything relevant should now be converted to use logging
> >> except for CPU core / floppy / hd image code.
> >> Logging functions add now log level prefix to all log
> >> messages so it's easy to seem what isn't using logging
> >> functions.
> > Sounds like a good idea. But could we maybe change the prefixes so
> > that they all have the same length, i.e. that the real messages are
> > all aligned to a column?
> Mis-alignment was by design, to make different log level messages
> stand out better from each other.
> (This is mainly for warning messages, errors are normally
> drastic enough to be obvious, but warnings could be easily
> missed from Hatari output if one isn't especially looking
> for them.)
I don't have the feeling that the different lengths really help here.
It's rather that the output looks just some kind of untidy to me this
way. But that's likely just a matter of taste. What do the others here
> > We could for example use:
> > FATAL:
> > ERROR:
> > WARN :
> > INFO :
> > TODO :
> > DEBUG:
> With that, color could be used for differentiation, but that
> would be otherwise nasty (unless it's disabled if Hatari
> detects that output isn't going to console).
No, color support likely means another dependency to some termcap or
curses library, which is really not worth the effort here, I think.