Re: [hatari-devel] Logging prefixes

Am Sun, 6 May 2018 11:26:55 +0300

> Hi,
>
> On 05/05/2018 11:00 PM, Thomas Huth wrote:
> > Am Sun, 29 Apr 2018 20:16:28 +0300
> > schrieb Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> >> Everything relevant should now be converted to use logging
> >> except for CPU core / floppy / hd image code.
> >>
> >> Logging functions add now log level prefix to all log
> >> messages so it's easy to seem what isn't using logging
> >> functions.
> >
> > Sounds like a good idea. But could we maybe change the prefixes so
> > that they all have the same length, i.e. that the real messages are
> > all aligned to a column?
> Mis-alignment was by design, to make different log level messages
> stand out better from each other.
>
> (This is mainly for warning messages, errors are normally
> drastic enough to be obvious, but warnings could be easily
> missed from Hatari output if one isn't especially looking
> for them.)

I don't have the feeling that the different lengths really help here.
It's rather that the output looks just some kind of untidy to me this
way. But that's likely just a matter of taste. What do the others here
think?

> > We could for example use:
> > FATAL:
> > ERROR:
> > WARN :
> > INFO :
> > TODO :
> > DEBUG:
>
> With that, color could be used for differentiation, but that
> would be otherwise nasty (unless it's disabled if Hatari
> detects that output isn't going to console).

No, color support likely means another dependency to some termcap or
curses library, which is really not worth the effort here, I think.