Re: [hatari-devel] Logging prefixes

On 6 May 2018 at 22:03, Thomas Huth wrote:

> Am Sun, 6 May 2018 11:26:55 +0300
> schrieb Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > Mis-alignment was by design, to make different log level messages
> > stand out better from each other.
> >
> > (This is mainly for warning messages, errors are normally
> > drastic enough to be obvious, but warnings could be easily
> > missed from Hatari output if one isn't especially looking
> > for them.)
>
> I don't have the feeling that the different lengths really help here.
> It's rather that the output looks just some kind of untidy to me this
> way. But that's likely just a matter of taste. What do the others here
> think?

I think unaligned messages are harder to read, so I favour Thomas's suggestion.

What I'm really hoping for in the next release is fewer messages during startup
(I know this was discussed earlier).  I think most users don't want or need to
see most of the messages that appear in the current release.  I count 37 lines
output by Hatari during startup; the only ones I care about are:
 . Hatari version
 . options (CPU, FPU etc)
 . mount of hard drive image
 . GEMDOS HDD emulation mapping
So IMO nearly 90% of startup messages are useless (& annoying actually) to the
average user.

Roger