Re: [hatari-devel] hatari tt scc emulation

Hi Thomas,

> https://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari/raw-file/tip/doc/manual.html#Experimental_TT_hardware_emulation
>
> So this means *incomplete* machine emulation and lots of *bugs*.
> There is just way too much stuff missing from TT emulation (especially
> the second MFP) to be able to provide a real usable TT emulator at the
> current point in time. Sorry if there were different expectations out
> there, but that's just what "experimental" means in this context.

Yes, the TT emulation is noted as imcomplete and experimental. But
there is no information about the state of hardware which is not
listed. And no information about how the emulation will react if a
software tries to access hardware which is not yet finished in the
emulator!

If i read experimental, i did not expect, the hardware emulation was
incomplete in the case that some hardware was not existin. I expect
maybe bugs, but this is no problem for me because serial conections
are not used.

> So instead of wasting our time to discuss incomplete work-around for
> the current problems,

Sorry, but i see it not as wasted time! The problem has every one who
tries to use MiNT on a TT emulation. So how to handle not existing
hardware is important for the goal of someone who uses the TT
emulation. And the expected behavior can be different for the software
or Os used. For MiNT maybe do nothing can be the best solution. For
only use TOS 3.06 a bus error after use a software which access the
SCC via XBIOS can be the better solution.

Maybe before implement the SCC emulation a confuguration of generate
a bus erro or do nothing could be a solution?

> we rather need someone who steps up and implements the missing
> pieces for complete TT emulation.

This leads me to my other question wich was not answered yet :-(

What ist the right setup for compile Hatari under Windows? I see a
cmake file but no project for Microsoft Developer Studio. A cmake
file was typical for linux but not so common for windows. So what is
the right setup? I assume cygwin. Is this correct? Wich compiler?
mingw? any other? I am working as a Software Engineer, specialized to
embedded systems. So i dont need a step by step instruction. But some
hints to avoid to much work to figure aout how it works is helpfull.

My main skills are for linux and not for windows. So i have no
knowledge about the best environment for such a port to windows. I
want to compile for windows, because my notebook runs under windows
and my vmware with linux has not so much resources.

I can't promise to add a SCC emulation because i have 2 projects in my
spare time. First my mrsystem for maerklin dcc control with a small
ARM based sbc. And then a port of emuTOS to Jaguar.

But to allow me to compile Hatari may be a good start point.

Is there a readme of how to add additional hardware to a spqcific
emulation? Maybe the same problem occurs in the future for falcon?

Regards
Michael