Re: [hatari-devel] New option --disable-video and --benchmark

Le 25/02/2017 à 23:34, Eero Tamminen a écrit :

not necessarily, some music disk will just start without any user
interaction, so video is not needed if you know you just need to press
up/down arrow later to change song for exemple.

Ok, but one needs to know the software pretty well
beforehand.  Sounds a bit of a corner case. I'm still
in favor of dropping the <bool> and and not having
it in config...

disabling video can make hatari similar to running sc68 (which emulates only audio, not video), so you can just start hatari with an sndh player and a sound file, no need for video or interaction with Hatari

Maybe that should have another option, e.g. --no-ui/--no-gui,
which checks that either remote control socket, natfeats or
--run-vbls is used?

I don't know, depends if there's a user need for that. Do user really
want to run Hatari without ui ? I'm not sure, especially with the
limitation it needs an additional layer (console, natfeats, ...) to
handle events.

Or it could be a warning.

Still, do we need --no-ui/--no-gui ?

I thought about using --benchmark and --run-vbls 100000 for example,
with SDL UI disabled ; then if you realise you want to stop the program
early, without key events, you will have to wait 100000 vbl (or kill the
process which is not an easy solution for every OS)

If the option enables also "--confirm-quit no",
one can quit Hatari just with Ctrl-C.

I'd like to have all keys shortcuts while Hatari is running ; having just the window created at start but not refreshed later gives a quick solution to this : shortcuts still work, but SDL calls like Copy/Render don't interfere with the benchmarking.

I know I have some real case for --benchmark as it is now to profile
some changes I'm working on ; if people have a need for disabling UI,
let's see, but this looks like a corner case to me that will not
interest many people. At least it can be handled by setting
SDL_VIDEODRIVER for now, not sure it requires an option on its own.

It's shorter than the env setting, more discoverable,
and only few lines of code.

Yes, but is it useful to some people ? I'm not really fond of adding options just because we can but without knowing if there's a real use for it. In the end, "hatari --help" will just grow, as well as manuals and users will read them even less, as it is known that people don't like reading long help text :)