Re: [hatari-devel] New option --disable-video and --benchmark

Le 23/02/2017 à 21:22, Eero Tamminen a écrit :
Hi,

On 02/23/2017 08:16 PM, Nicolas Pomarède wrote:
I just added 2 new options to Hatari's command line :

 --disable-video : don't refresh the screen during emulation. Emulated
screen is still updated into Hatari's internal buffer, but the result is
never displayed on screen through SDL calls.

You've documented the option as:
    --disable-video <bool> Run emulation without displaying video

For consistency with other options, I think it should be either:
    --disable-video
or
    --video <bool>

Hi

I thought about this, but --video sounded too generic to me, but why not, I have no opinion on this.

This can be useful if you just want to listen to Hatari's sound without
the extra cpu needed to display on screen (for example a music disk).

I added frame skip feature to Hatari v1.1 to for this purpose.
It has even SDL GUI settings for forcing a larger than necessary
frame skip value, if one wants less CPU usage:
https://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari/raw-file/tip/doc/manual.html#Performance

If the video option would skip Hatari window completely and
allow running Hatari on headless setups, then it would make
more sense to have video disabling as config file option.

I thought about running Hatari without any window at all, but then more code would be needed as it's SDL that handles keyboard shortcut (for example handle ctrl+c to exit Hatari). For now, just creating a window at start and not refreshing after seeems enough to get repeatable speed results.

As it's now, I'd rather remove the config file support,
as a potential source of user bug reports (when it gets
enabled & saved there by accident).

I'm lost, which config file option are you talking about ? --disable-video is not saved to the config file (on purpose)

Why not just alias it to fast-forward option instead of
duplicating code?

Or do you see some potential problem with fast-forward as that
has also a config file option, user shortcut key, takes audio
buffering into account, and its value is shown in statusbar?

I see fast forward as on option you can toggle on/off during emulation, as it is now --benchmark does the same as fast forward, but in the future some more options could be implied by --benchmark, so I'd rather separate it from the beginning (code duplication is just 2 "if" for now anyway)

Maybe you could update also:
https://hg.tuxfamily.org/mercurialroot/hatari/hatari/raw-file/tip/doc/manual.html#Measuring_the_performance

Section in the manual?

I will see later once I have some tests results to report.