Re: [hatari-devel] New option --disable-video and --benchmark

Le 25/02/2017 à 21:42, Eero Tamminen a écrit :

And for the music listening case you mentioned, user
cannot see/use the Atari GUI to select the song(s), so
he needs to anyway script Hatari invocation to select
suitable song, and inject its path to emulation with
the help of hatari-prg-args script.

-> frame-skip is more convenient for this

Hi

not necessarily, some music disk will just start without any user interaction, so video is not needed if you know you just need to press up/down arrow later to change song for exemple.

So, dummy driver might be good if you want to run an SDL program
on a system without windows capabilities, but for benchmarking it
doesn't disable the cost of SDL calls like Copy and Render,
the gain is really low (5-10% or less) compared to 35-40% by
really disabling SDL calls.

IMHO the main point of using:
    setenv("SDL_VIDEODRIVER", "dummy", 1);

Is that you do not get any GUI. :-)

However, it then being impossible for the user to invoke any
Hatari shortcuts (like quit, and debugger invocation),
makes it less useful e.g. for headless usage.

I could imagine it being used when:
- Invoking Hatari through hconsole (or python GUI)
- Enabling NatFeats and having the invoked Atari program
  call the emulator Quit functionality when it ends, or
- Using --run-vbls option

Maybe that should have another option, e.g. --no-ui/--no-gui,
which checks that either remote control socket, natfeats or
--run-vbls is used?

I don't know, depends if there's a user need for that. Do user really want to run Hatari without ui ? I'm not sure, especially with the limitation it needs an additional layer (console, natfeats, ...) to handle events.

I thought about using --benchmark and --run-vbls 100000 for example, with SDL UI disabled ; then if you realise you want to stop the program early, without key events, you will have to wait 100000 vbl (or kill the process which is not an easy solution for every OS)

I know I have some real case for --benchmark as it is now to profile some changes I'm working on ; if people have a need for disabling UI, let's see, but this looks like a corner case to me that will not interest many people. At least it can be handled by setting SDL_VIDEODRIVER for now, not sure it requires an option on its own.