Re: [hatari-devel] Hatari binary packages are missing all the tools

On sunnuntai 12 lokakuu 2014, Thomas Huth wrote:
> schrieb Eero Tamminen <oak@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

> > Note: CMake stuff for building & installing the SDL key tester
> > programs is currently missing.  That should probably be added
> > first and resulting binaries names prefixed e.g. with "sdl-".
>
> Do we still need that at all? I've recently added tracing to the keymap
> functions in Hatari, too, so if you want to find out about a symbolic
> mapping value, you can now also simply start hatari with "--trace
> keymap".

That indeed makes those host tools redundant.  I think the Atari
program is still useful though.

checkkeys output is a bit more readable though.

checkkeys:
Key pressed :  98 - b  modifiers: NUMLOCK (b)
Key released:  98 - b  modifiers: NUMLOCK
Key pressed : 303 - right shift  modifiers: RSHIFT NUMLOCK
Key pressed :  98 - b  modifiers: RSHIFT NUMLOCK (B)
Key released:  98 - b  modifiers: RSHIFT NUMLOCK
Key pressed :  32 - space  modifiers: RSHIFT NUMLOCK ( )
Key released:  32 - space  modifiers: RSHIFT NUMLOCK
Key released: 303 - right shift  modifiers: NUMLOCK
Key pressed : 308 - left alt  modifiers: LALT NUMLOCK
Key released: 308 - left alt  modifiers: NUMLOCK

keymap trace:
key down: sym=98 scan=56 mod=0x1000
key map: sym=0x62 to ST-scan=0x30
key up: sym=98 scan=56 mod=$1000
key down: sym=303 scan=62 mod=0x1000
key map: sym=0x12f to ST-scan=0x36
key down: sym=98 scan=56 mod=0x1002
key map: sym=0x62 to ST-scan=0x30
key up: sym=98 scan=56 mod=$1002
key up: sym=303 scan=62 mod=$1000
key down: sym=308 scan=64 mod=0x1000
key map: sym=0x134 to ST-scan=0x38
key up: sym=308 scan=64 mod=$1000

Maybe you could add symbolic name for the key and
align the trace output?

> > > Maybe Troed will have time to update the OSX archive, as he
> > > provided the 1.8.0 for OSX.
> >
> > On OSX everything that CMake "make install" installs, should
> > be included to the package (e.g. hconsole stuff going to
> > DATADIR/hconsole), except for the python UI stuff (as that
> > needs Gtk and OSX has its own UI).
>
> I wonder whether the "normal" OS X users need the command line tools
> at all ... or did anybody ever complain that they are missing?

I think "hmsa" and zip2st.sh are quite useful for
managing floppy images.

gst2ascii tool and the debug symbol conversion scripts
came only in 1.7.0, so people don't necessarily know
much about them yet.

However, if you want to debug or profile your Atari programs,
they're necessary if you:
- can't use DRI/GST symbol format (e.g. you need symbols
  for DSP code),
- want to use something else because of DRI/GST limitations, or
- want to filter the symbol list to get better profiles.