Re: [hatari-devel] OSX performance

Le 31/07/2014 00:55, Eero Tamminen a écrit :

I see some discussion in other forums that could be related. (And
I just got my retina MBP which would explain why I haven't seen it
before).

What exact CPU and GPU model you have?

With integrated GPU there shouldn't be a difference in speed
as both CPU & GPU use same memory bandwidth.

With separate GPU, doing the scaling read/write/screen refresh
from within faster GPU memory, can be clearly faster than doing
the scaling on CPU side.

I think MacBooks should have at least 20GB/s of memory
bandwidth, so those display updates being a problem sounds
fishy.

I don't think we should speculate that much about OSX and its bandwidth, the heart of the problem remains the same : SDL 1 under OSX is really crappy and very poor on performance and there's nothing we can do about it, I'm not even sure it's still supported by their developpers.

Providing an SDL2 alternative will certainly fix all those video speed issues (and at least, there's some active support on SDL2 mailing list, so problem can be fixed if they are SDL2 related).