Re: [hatari-devel] OS X menu items and shortcuts

Le 08/06/2014 22:46, Thomas Huth a écrit :
Am Sat, 7 Jun 2014 12:52:32 -0500
schrieb Bob Carpenter <hatari@xxxxxxxxxx>:

Thomas,

Thank you for committing the patch. I downloaded the most recent code
and the animation capture/end capture works fine. I was concerned
when I received an AVI index error when trying to play the AVI.
However, I received the same error when doing the capture through the
SDL menu so it is not related to my very small change.

Since the AVI files were so huge (20 GB for 3 minutes), I would not
have kept them in that format anyway. I simply used VLC to convert
the AVI file to M4V format. VLC helpfully offered to recreate the
index and everything played perfectly. It also allowed me to play the
AVI directly if I used VLC. QuickTime complained about the bad index
and only played a few seconds of the video.

  Bob,

as far as I know, AVI files have normally a limit of 4 GB since some
fields in the header of the AVI file only have a size of 32 bits. So it
sounds quite "normal" that some programs like Quicktime might refuse
bigger AVI files. Not sure why your file got so big though, could you
maybe have a look at your hatari.cfg file to see which value is set in
the AviRecordVcodec variable?

Hello

many fields in the AVI structure are indeed 32 bit, so 4 GB might be the limit, at least for the index part (I think a non indexed avi could be bigger than 4 GB). Maybe there's an extended AVI format with 64 bit values, but it's not the one I used (mkv would certainly be a better candidate in that case).

As for the 20 GB filesize, I think it was recorded in BMP format and with x2 zooming. In all cases, it is not recommended to use x2 zooming when recording video : it wastes cpu and disk space. Without zooming, you will save some CPU and this might be enough to use png recording instead of bmp and save a lot of disk space.