Fwd: [hatari-devel] Memory bank configuration register

(Resent to the list)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Troed Sångberg <troed@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 7:54 PM
Subject: Re: [hatari-devel] Memory bank configuration register
To: Nicolas Pomarède <npomarede@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

On Sun, Jun 23, 2013 at 7:30 PM, Nicolas Pomarède <npomarede@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 23/06/2013 16:44, Troed Sångberg wrote:
No, but my code writes to $ff8001 ;) If that doesn't stick in Hatari it
could indeed cause the behaviour I've seen - I think. As I said, I
haven't debugged it.

In that case, you will certainly get different results. In Hatari, writes to ff8001 have no effect, it won't affect the physical memory (only RAM config under F12 key will change RAM size) while on a real ST it might disable one memory bank (but I don't really remember what it does for real ? Never needed to look at it so far).

I don't recall any program so far that manipulates ff8001 (ie they all work without having to emulate writes to ff8001). Maybe you could use another method if you want to be compatible with current state of Hatari and real HW ?

But of course :) If more of our code had ever been released I'm sure I would se more comments like the one I just found in Hatari's video.c* :P It's my hope (and the reason I'm subscribed to this list) that I might be able to offer up some patches for Hatari as well though. I'm currently trying to play around by only using Hatari and some minimal testing on real hardware - but I realize that in many cases emulators patch on a case by case basis in tricky situations to get code in the wild working instead of emulating the hardware.

/Troed (of SYNC)

*) "Handle simultaneous removal of right border and bottom border with the same long switch to 60 Hz (Sync Screen in SNY II)"