[hatari-devel] Re: Boot time

On 08/06/2013 21:48, Roger Burrows wrote:
On 8 Jun 2013 at 20:54, Eero Tamminen wrote:

As to EmuTOS bootup taking a long time with accurate FDC emulation,
that's a known EmuTOS issue.  With floppy, it takes 4.6s, without
floppy, a pathetic 34.6s.  Normal TOS takes in both cases about 3 secs.

FYI, TOS 1.04 on my 1040ST takes about 1 minute to boot if there is no floppy
in the internal drive, versus about 4 seconds with a floppy inserted [in both
cases, no external floppy/hard drive connected].  That's why every ST owner
learned to always put a formatted (write protected for safety) floppy in the
drive when booting.

Roger

Yes, I confirm, booting my tos 1.02 520 STF without a floppy is also very long.

Eero, I dont't see what you call "normal tos" ? Maybe more recent TOSes (STE ones for example) booted faster when no disk was detected, but all ST owners (who were mainly STF owners, as this was the most selling model) certainly experimented slow boot without any disk in drive.

Or do you mean no floppy, but a HD used a main boot drive ?