Re: [eigen] Eigen and Visualization Toolkit (VTK)

On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 7:18 AM, Gael Guennebaud
<gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I guess this information would be more useful to VES developers.

I will see if we can get the readme.txt updated.

> On Sun, May 12, 2013 at 9:22 AM, FMDSPAM <fmdspam@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: >> Hi Benoit,
>>
>> sorry for reactivating such an old topic, but... it is because I'm
>> (passively for now) interested in VTK an in Eigen.
>> The VES project now knows about Eigen's MPL 2.0 Licensing (but there
>> readme.txt is not up to date).
>>
>> I thought that might be still interesting.

I let interested parties know at the time when the license changed.
The license change makes it easier to consider Eigen, we decided to
make use of Eigen in VES as an experiment before considering the same
in VTK.

>> Am 22.01.2012 20:30, schrieb Benoit Jacob:
>>
>> The only discussion I was involved with, was 2 years ago. It might be
>> worth restarting it after (if) we do switch to MPL2. At that time,
>> nothing particular came out of this discussion.
>>
>> CC'ing Marcus who might know more.

I can't make any promises, but the license change was a very positive
step and I think that there is a good chance we will start using Eigen
in VTK in the future. There are some questions about whether it would
be possible to use it in our public API due to limitations in the
wrapping mechanism for VTK and the highly templated nature of Eigen. I
am on the Eigen list, and try to pop my head in from time to time. For
some reason I missed the original email Benoit copied me on (sorry
about that).

In what capacity are you hoping to see Eigen used in VTK? We could use
it in our rendering layer for example, without exposing it in our API.
 VTK was recently awarded funding for maintenance, and we will be
updating several parts of VTK over the next four years as part of this
work.

Thanks,

Marcus