Re: [eigen] 3.2.0-beta1 released!

Boost provides a tool for extracting parts of it: http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_53_0/tools/bcp/doc/html/index.html

M.

On 7 Mar 2013 19:34, "Christoph Hertzberg" <chtz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 07.03.2013 19:05, Hauke Heibel wrote:
Hi,

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 6:58 PM, Sameer Agarwal <sameeragarwal@xxxxxxxxxx>wrote:

On Thu, Mar 7, 2013 at 9:49 AM, Gael Guennebaud <gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx
wrote:

an idea would be to connect to the boost graph library that include
various ordering algorithms (see section 22.12
http://www.boost.org/doc/libs/1_53_0/libs/graph/doc/table_of_contents.html
).

I think that is a great idea. On the other hand, it brings boost as a
dependency :).
I suppose that is not so bad.

I am not sure about the boost dependency. Don't get me wrong, I love boost
and use it pretty much every day but imposing this quite large dependency
on every Eigen user would be a quite big change. The main issue is that the
individual boost libraries are not well self-contained and quite often
result in depending not only on the part that you'ld lilke to use but also
on a whole bunch of other boost libraries. We would also most likely all of
a sudden introduce link dependencies whereas Eigen as it stands today is a
header only library.

So I am not quite sure ...

For that particular case, shouldn't it be possible to extract the relevant code out of boost? The boost license appears to be quite liberal w.r.t derived work.

boost graph also seems to be very mature/stable with no modifications since boost 1.36. I have not checked how deep the boost-dependencies are, though..

A disadvantage of depending on each user's boost install would be that sometimes boost suddenly makes small API-changes (I experienced that some time ago with pointer containers and recently with boost-preprocessor ...)

Christoph

Dipl.-Inf., Dipl.-Math. Christoph Hertzberg
Cartesium 0.049
Universität Bremen
Enrique-Schmidt-Straße 5
28359 Bremen