Re: Re: [eigen] Remove Eigen2 support for 3.2?

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 10:04 AM, Laurent Rineau
(CGAL/GeometryFactory) <laurent.rineau@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Le jeudi 28 juin 2012 09:33:34 Benoit Jacob a écrit :
>> Is this a heavy maintainance burden or just a wish to simplify the codebase?
>>
>> In the former case, go ahead and do whatever you need to keep Eigen
>> easy to maintain; in the latter case, I would suggest giving it a bit
>> more time and having a transition period where it would be officially
>> deprecated and complain loudly about it (generate warnings, or even
>> require people to #define
>> YES_I_KNOW_EIGEN2_SUPPORT_IS_GOING_AWAY_SOON), and only fully remove
>> it in the version after (3.3?)
>>
>> This is just my 2 cents as an industry guy now ;-) People just don't
>> want their existing code to be broken, and value that much higher than
>> "cleanliness" and "removing cruft".
>
> I second Benoit's opinion. My company does not use Eigen2, but it is true that
> the industry does not like breaking changes for no real reasons.

I third Benoit's opinion, but would understand if it needed to be
removed. Having some mixed projects, and the ABI incompatible changes
in the Vector3d etc typedefs would perhaps make it harder for us, but
we could also require 3.0-3.1 if necessary. We are working on moving
everything over, but these things take time.

Marcus