Re: [eigen] Remove Eigen2 support for 3.2?

On 28.06.2012 15:33, Benoit Jacob wrote:
Is this a heavy maintainance burden or just a wish to simplify the codebase?

In the former case, go ahead and do whatever you need to keep Eigen
easy to maintain; in the latter case, I would suggest giving it a bit
more time and having a transition period where it would be officially
deprecated and complain loudly about it (generate warnings, or even
require people to #define
YES_I_KNOW_EIGEN2_SUPPORT_IS_GOING_AWAY_SOON), and only fully remove
it in the version after (3.3?)

This is just my 2 cents as an industry guy now ;-) People just don't
want their existing code to be broken, and value that much higher than
"cleanliness" and "removing cruft".

You could also start removing the heavy-to-maintain parts, e.g. by not supporting stage10 or stage20 anymore. (I have no overview, how strong each stage currently influences the code base). Projects that got stuck at EIGEN2_SUPPORT_STAGE10_FULL_EIGEN2_API are still allowed to stay with Eigen3.1 if they are unwilling to port ...

Christoph (99% working with dev-branch)

Dipl.-Inf. Christoph Hertzberg
Cartesium 0.049
Universität Bremen