|Re: [eigen] Remove Eigen2 support for 3.2?|
[ Thread Index |
| More lists.tuxfamily.org/eigen Archives
- To: eigen@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
- Subject: Re: [eigen] Remove Eigen2 support for 3.2?
- From: Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
- Date: Thu, 28 Jun 2012 09:33:34 -0400
- Dkim-signature: v=1; a=rsa-sha256; c=relaxed/relaxed; d=gmail.com; s=20120113; h=mime-version:in-reply-to:references:date:message-id:subject:from:to :content-type; bh=k/g+cNX0yog67wMJAXooU/sO1V2+wG2sofPKNKRFXvI=; b=bRsBzLiuXHqZmdQITidDaoshpygNzbxx3Tjz6Gjpb/YqLxrst5qE1KdhwvfeDfugUF zKF/QJTCnqsMw0zbh+S+39Aa2XrQCjWa5mASnS90dAJNSvz6H8IdpW1YkIXJxZ2pWoPi QQKJ6i2JJzXbmT+2z/fpTUu9//nBPQvO+YL8h13dGL9xcWw9zMGak4iSGKr+FmWbLQuz BKYr5Qv17bU8A1y6LfOGcOWEZeAdVMAWW4iqxpfZx3Cnzw4H4FtHu/o0CyvAzrcP8a8g H9dTtHGc9oSKz4/evPd0uRo2m3SNbfbd5B2syzeWxB3OEVljRuj1z5dRmhxlBHxiOFx7 AyAQ==
Is this a heavy maintainance burden or just a wish to simplify the codebase?
In the former case, go ahead and do whatever you need to keep Eigen
easy to maintain; in the latter case, I would suggest giving it a bit
more time and having a transition period where it would be officially
deprecated and complain loudly about it (generate warnings, or even
require people to #define
YES_I_KNOW_EIGEN2_SUPPORT_IS_GOING_AWAY_SOON), and only fully remove
it in the version after (3.3?)
This is just my 2 cents as an industry guy now ;-) People just don't
want their existing code to be broken, and value that much higher than
"cleanliness" and "removing cruft".
2012/6/28 Gael Guennebaud <gael.guennebaud@xxxxxxxxx>:
> unless there is any objections, I propose to remove the Eigen2 support
> code in the devel branch, i.e., for the future 3.2 release. I expect
> that all people already moved to Eigen3. The goal is to reduce the
> code base and simplify the implementation logic of some