Re: [eigen] Relicensing Eigen

On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 1:56 PM, Daniel Berlin <dannyb@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, Jun 28, 2012 at 4:27 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> 2012/6/28 Daniel Berlin <dannyb@xxxxxxxxxx>:
>> I'm also happy to put you in touch with Luis Villa, who was
>> responsible for much of the MPLv2 process
>
> Actually... I have been in touch with the MPL2 team at Mozilla (I work
> at Mozilla but not on legal stuff).

Sorry, wasn't aware ;)

>  But since the MPL2 FAQ already
> says that the MPL2 is GPL-compatible, it's hard for me to phrase a
> precise question. My real issue has been that the MPL2 FAQ isn't easy
> enough to grasp for a non-lawyer on this particular point.

Honestly, no licenses are.
License compatibility is a difficult thing, even for experienced open
source lawyers.

> Now that I
> understand the mechanics at hand, I understand that it's hard to
> explain in a simpler way, as the mechanism is actually non-trivial.
> (The way in which the licensing of "Larger Works" subtly differs from
> plain dual-licensing, as explained in the FAQ).

FWIW, this exact conversation you are all having right now is why
Google has generally taken a hard stance on approving more OSI
licenses.  It's not that we think particular license are good or bad,
it's than when you combine code from 30 licenses, which is more and
more common these days, figuring out the licensing results are a
complete and utter mess.

Ultimately, this is part of what drove me to pick BSD/MIT for all my personal projects. Less hassle, more coding, more users.

Keir