Re: [eigen] Relicensing Eigen

I'll break the news: I'm leaning in that direction as well too!

Here is a bit of wisdom that a few colleagues at Mozilla agree on:

 - If your competitors are mostly closed-source, then it makes sense
to be GPL to protect yourself. Killer example: Linux.
 - If your competitors are mostly open-source, then it makes sense to
use a liberal license to share more (more "coopetition"), have a more
central place in the ecosystem.

So in fact, many engineers at Mozilla prefer BSD-style licenses. But
when you're a large project and you've been MPL1/LGPL/GPL for 10+
years, you probably can't conceivably get enough consensus to
relicense to BSD.

I'm not unhappy at all with the MPL2 though: the MPL2 is at least the
most pain-free of the weak-copyleft licenses (that I know of), it is
free of the unneeded pain found in (L)GPL licenses and, to a lesser
extent, the MPL1. So I'm really glad that it exists, as it at least
offers a nice path for improvement for all the existing copyleft
projects, and as I said above, I still believe that for many projects,
copyleft is the right choice (projects competing primarily with
closed-source projects). If the MPL2 can win many other currently
(L)GPL projects, that will certainly help avoid a lot of headaches.

Benoit