Re: [eigen] SVD with singular matrices

2010/9/30 Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 2010/9/29 Keir Mierle <mierle@xxxxxxxxx>:
>> On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 8:10 AM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Here's a diff for the SVD unit test, exposing the problem.
>>>
>>> The sorting of eigenvalues isn't the problem, the bidiagonalization is.
>>>
>>> The most productive thing I can say is: let's declare SVD
>>> not-for-exactly-singular-matrices for now, and ... yeah , yeah, make
>>> the new SVD happen :-P .. in the meanwhile you have JacobiSVD.
>>>

>> This is a serious problem. Almost all multiview geometry hackers regularly
>> solve matrices that are exactly singular (i.e. start out as 3x5, get
>> extended with two rows of zeros to be 5x5). This is because many problems in
>> multiview geometry produce homogenous linear equations. I use the SVD now in
>> libmv and it seems to work, but now I'm worried.
>
> I know, that's why in my next e-mail I proposed that we temporarily
> internally replace the SVD implementation by JacobiSVD. That will turn
> it into the most reliable SVD ever, the downside being that for large
> matrices it's relatively slow (IIRC twice slower than the current SVD)
> (but for small matrices such as yours, it's fast, so you should be
> using JacobiSVD anyway).

Actually I am now pretty convinced that we should do this, the
question I'm really wondering about is the following. Right now I'm
making API changes making JacobiSVD be a drop-in replacement for SVD.
So:
 - 1) should we just plain remove SVD and tell people to use JacobiSVD
 - 2) or should we, as said above, just internally reimplement SVD on
top of JacobiSVD ?

I'm getting more and more in favor of 1). Like in other modules, use
explicit decomposition names. My concern is that with 2), in Eigen 3.1
we'd silently replace SVD by a faster but NOT AS RELIABLE
implementation. Dangerous!

Benoit