Re: [eigen] SVD with singular matrices

OK, i've attached a compilable variant that also prints the
reconstructed matrix.

It turns out that the reconstructed matrix is
  1 0
  1 0

I.e. we seem to have a problem with row/column permutations. Which
could be related to the sorting of singvals.

I'm trying to understand why our unit test is not catching this. It's
true that we're not testing matrices with exactly 0 singvals.

Benoit

2010/9/29  <hamelin.philippe@xxxxxxx>:
> This simple test fails:
>
> bool testSingularMatrixSVD()
> {
>    MatrixXd a(2,2), avalidation(2,2);
>    unsigned int rows = 2;
>    unsigned int cols = 2;
>
>    a <<    1,     1,
>            0,     0;
>
>    Eigen::SVD<MatrixXd> svd(a);
>    MatrixXd sigma = MatrixXd::Zero(rows,cols);
>    MatrixXd matU  = MatrixXd::Zero(rows,rows);
>    sigma.diagonal() = svd.singularValues();
>    matU = svd.matrixU();
>    avalidation = matU * sigma * svd.matrixV().transpose();
>
>    cout << "testSingularMatrixSVD() : ";
>    if((a).isApprox(avalidation, 1e-12))
>    {
>        cout << "Success." << endl;
>        return true;
>    }
>    else
>    {
>        cout << "Fail." << endl;
>        return false;
>    }
>
> }

#include<Eigen/Eigen>
#include<iostream>
using namespace Eigen;
using namespace std;

int main()
{
   MatrixXd a(2,2), avalidation(2,2);
   unsigned int rows = 2;
   unsigned int cols = 2;

   a <<    1,     1,
           0,     0;

   Eigen::SVD<MatrixXd> svd(a);
   MatrixXd sigma = MatrixXd::Zero(rows,cols);
   MatrixXd matU  = MatrixXd::Zero(rows,rows);
   sigma.diagonal() = svd.singularValues();
   matU = svd.matrixU();
   avalidation = matU * sigma * svd.matrixV().transpose();

   cout << "relative error: " << (a-avalidation).norm() / a.norm() << endl;
   cout << "reconstructed matrix:\n" << avalidation << endl;