Re: [eigen] SVD Bug

2010/9/24 Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx>:
> 2010/9/24 Hauke Heibel <hauke.heibel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
>> I added Gram Schmidt orthogonalization and I added Helmut's proposal
>> to use the normal equations to evaluate least squares solutions.
>>
>> Again, a little check would be great!
> Excellent. Since you check with VERIFY_IS_UNITARY, you have proof that
> your Gram-Schmidt code is correct.

Ah wait! You do have one reliability issue. Here, at column i, you
start with the i-th vector of the standard basis (0,...,0,1,0,..,0
with the 1 at the i-th position). This will fail (or be  numerically
instable) if this vector happens to be in the linear span of the
previous columns (or approximately in the linear span). So you have to
nest another loop here: at every col, try all vectors in the standard
basis until the norm of the projection is big enough. I am pretty sure
that big enough means that the norm be >= 1/sqrt(n) since in the 2D
case, clearly you can get 1/sqrt(2). So check that the squared norm is
1/n. Might want to say 1/(2*n) to be a little tolerant, since in case
it's exactly 1/n, some FP imprecision could play tricks.

Benoit