Re: [eigen] beta1 tagged (NOT RELEASED), first try

2010/7/1 Hauke Heibel <hauke.heibel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> On Thu, Jul 1, 2010 at 3:51 PM, Benoit Jacob <jacob.benoit.1@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Sure is, and we'll create a 3.0 branch in time. But is that really
>> needed for the beta? Since the current beta "freeze" is only going to
>> last 1 or 2 more days, I was thinking it was OK for everyone to
>> refrain from committing big changes in that short period.
>>
>> AFAICS that freeze has been well respected so if you want we can
>> re-tag current tip as 3.0-beta1. I was planning to do that tomorrow,
>> but feel free. You have to do
>>  $ hg tag 3.0-beta1
>> and edit the hgtags file to remove the old tag.
>
> It is not really urgent. I just mentioned it since some recent
> changes/fixes require to continue testing on the tip and not on

Right, so it's a matter of balancing this vs. the confusion of having
too frequent retagging.

I suggest that the 2nd tagging try should have reasonable chances of
being the actual beta. So let's say we re-tag tomorrow morning.

As you mention, a branch would have merit too. But then we have to
make sure to merge stuff. Actually, if we were all working on the beta
branch, then after the beta is over, it would be easy to merge that
branch back into the default branch. Would it then be easy to kill the
beta branch? (and add a beta tag instead) ? I would be quite open to
experimenting with that!

Benoit