Re: [AD] support for mod files

On 2010-04-05, Matthew Leverton <meffer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, Apr 5, 2010 at 12:42 PM, Elias Pschernig
> <elias.pschernig@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Are DLLs a problem? I never use static linking myself, just so I can
> > always see at a glance how much code is where (even my games might use
> > multiple .dlls, like have the server in its own .dll for obvious
> > reasons).
> >
> You can argue all day that it's not a problem (and maybe you are
> right), but it is a nuisance, and you can be sure that Windows users
> will complain about how "bloated" Allegro 5 is, when in reality it's
> just the opposite.
>
> I am in the process of building all of Allegro's dependencies as
> static libraries. That way, even when using the dynamic version of
> Allegro, you will only have to distribute Allegro DLLs. Hopefully I
> can get it all working; currently libFLAC refuses to work...
>
> Ultimately, the solution may just be to tell Windows people "use the
> static binaries from a.cc". I'm definitely not at this time proposing
> any core changes to be made.
>
> I agree that it's not a problem at all under Linux. OS X probably
> falls closer to Linux regarding this.

Anyone care to write a Windows Imaging Component backend?

And implement image savers using the Apple-native library?

Then we would be using "native" libraries on all platforms, with
libpng/libjpeg being only implementation details on Linux (where they
*are* the "native" libraries).

(I don't think this idea could be practically extended to the audio
codecs, because of resistance by parties to supporting Vorbis and FLAC.)

Peter