Re: [AD] Touchpad gestures

On Thu, Feb 18, 2010 at 12:33 AM, Peter Wang <novalazy@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

We'll have too many buttons and axes, won't we?  I think we should add a
new event type, e.g. ALLEGRO_EVENT_GESTURE with a field that specifies
the type of gesture, and a field (fields?) to indicate the degree of the
gesture.

How do the current mouse events work with multi-touch?  Perhaps we need
a field in ALLEGRO_MOUSE_EVENT to tell apart the different fingers?

In the iphone port we use the mouse button field for it, but yes, that wouldn't work out for devices which have multi-touch *and* buttons. (On the iphone Apple's finger tracking isn't very reliable anyway so it's best to ignore the finger number and just figure out the gestures from the reported positions.)

Also, what about devices which have pressure sensitivity? I think that's about as common/useful as gestures, so we might as well report it.

A more important field might be a mouse number. I assume if you have a touch screen or touch pad but also have a mouse plugged in some OSes might report what devices an input is from. I can see in Gimp that it has support for all kinds of input devices to use at the same time but with different stuff assigned to each - so at least in X11 it must be possible somehow.