Re: [AD] slow fonts

On 14 Jul 2009, at 16:45 , Matthew Leverton wrote:
I didn't do any profiling, but I did trace the problem to video sub- bitmaps.

When I changed the font code to use al_create_bitmap(), it took a long
time to load a font, but only about 0.02 seconds to draw. When I set
the MEMORY_BITMAP flag (regardless of sub bitmaps status) it loaded
fast and drew fast.

That fits in with my recent experience with sub-bitmaps being slow using OpenGL. Looking at the code didn't reveal anything obvious though... I'll see if I have time to look at it in a bit more detail today.

Evert