Re: [AD] Splitting filesystem APIs

On 18 Apr 2009, at 21:46 , Peter Wang wrote:
Really, I did, really hard.  It wasn't a rash decision.

I believe I'm not the only one with concerns (apologies to Peter Hull if
I'm misrepresenting him):

   Finally I'm also not sure about having AL_FS_ENTRY being either
directory-like or file-like, would it be confusing or not? AL_FS_ENTRY
   could be the 'superclass' of AL_FS_DIR and AL_FS_FILE, with the
   appropriate operations defined for each.

In the end it's down to opinions and it's sapping way too much time.

I don't have a strong opinion either way and could see myself working with either scheme. I can think of files and directories both being things that live in a directory and use them in a completely abstract way that doesn't distinguish between the two (in this way of thinking I often think it would be neat for "less" to turn into "ls -l" when used on a directory) - or I can think of files and directories as being two very different types of things that have almost nothing to do with eachother, which is a bit closer to how I'd typically use files and directories on a daily basis. It's often useful to switch from one to the other, but I'm not sure you can reflect that in an API.

Thomas, it's a difference of opinion. Don't take it personally.

Evert