Re: [AD] Splitting filesystem APIs

On Sat April 18 2009, Peter Wang wrote:
> On 2009-04-18, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Nope.
> >
> > It actually is. :P now you have two different handles, one fir DIRs one
> > for FILEs.
>
> The distinction was always there, just hidden under the one type.
> That's why a runtime check ASSERT(!fp_stdio->isdir); was required in all
> the al_f* functions.  Now the difference be exposed for the user and
> compiler alike.
>
> I assure you, it works fine and is clearer for all.  You won't want to
> agree with me because I'm changing your design.  Fine, I can play the
> bad guy.

Its clearer for YOU or for someone expecting a 1:1 clone of stdio. but why not
aim for something better and more convenient than an ancient api that hasn't
been updated in decades.

You're just used to it, and don't want to use anything different. I do see how
it makes sense to you, but try seeing the larger picture.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx