Re: [AD] Splitting filesystem APIs

On Sat April 18 2009, Evert Glebbeek wrote:
> On 18 Apr 2009, at 21:46 , Peter Wang wrote:
> > Really, I did, really hard.  It wasn't a rash decision.
> >
> > I believe I'm not the only one with concerns (apologies to Peter
> > Hull if
> > I'm misrepresenting him):
> >
> >    Finally I'm also not sure about having AL_FS_ENTRY being either
> >    directory-like or file-like, would it be confusing or not?
> > AL_FS_ENTRY
> >    could be the 'superclass' of AL_FS_DIR and AL_FS_FILE, with the
> >    appropriate operations defined for each.
> >
> > In the end it's down to opinions and it's sapping way too much time.
>
> I don't have a strong opinion either way and could see myself working
> with either scheme. I can think of files and directories both being
> things that live in a directory and use them in a completely abstract
> way that doesn't distinguish between the two (in this way of thinking
> I often think it would be neat for "less" to turn into "ls -l" when
> used on a directory) - or I can think of files and directories as
> being two very different types of things that have almost nothing to
> do with eachother, which is a bit closer to how I'd typically use
> files and directories on a daily basis. It's often useful to switch
> from one to the other, but I'm not sure you can reflect that in an API.
>
> Thomas, it's a difference of opinion. Don't take it personally.

The way things have been dealt with from the beginning leave much to be
desired, and this sure doesn't help matters. If I hadn't spoken up peter would
have just replaced the whole thing without anyone asking ::)

Fine. Feel free to remove all my work. Don't make a new api that will be
easier to work with, especially for new coders. No we don't need to evolve
anything at all, it just needs to be more of the same. Trying new things ==
bad. Obviously.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx