Re: [AD] Splitting filesystem APIs

On 2009-04-18, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat April 18 2009, Peter Wang wrote:
> >
> > I assure you, it works fine and is clearer for all.  You won't want to
> > agree with me because I'm changing your design.  Fine, I can play the
> > bad guy.
>
> Its clearer for YOU or for someone expecting a 1:1 clone of stdio. but why not
> aim for something better and more convenient than an ancient api that hasn't
> been updated in decades.
>
> You're just used to it, and don't want to use anything different. I do see how
> it makes sense to you, but try seeing the larger picture.

Really, I did, really hard.  It wasn't a rash decision.

I believe I'm not the only one with concerns (apologies to Peter Hull if
I'm misrepresenting him):

    Finally I'm also not sure about having AL_FS_ENTRY being either
    directory-like or file-like, would it be confusing or not? AL_FS_ENTRY
    could be the 'superclass' of AL_FS_DIR and AL_FS_FILE, with the
    appropriate operations defined for each.

In the end it's down to opinions and it's sapping way too much time.

Peter