Re: [AD] Additions for al_get_path() (was Re: Allegro 5 TODOs (from wiki))

On Sun, Dec 14, 2008 at 8:17 PM, Evert Glebbeek <eglebbk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> AL_USER_HOME_PATH = CSIDL_PERSONAL (e.g. C:\Documents and
>> Settings\Matthew\Documents)
>
> This, at the moment, returns CSIDL_PROFILE. You think that should be
> changed?

CSIDL_PROFILE is the home path, but you are not supposed to put any
files or folders in there. So I don't think it does any good to return
it.

I would assume that AL_USER_HOME_PATH is meant for files that the user
can open up and access outside of the Allegro application. With that
interpretation, I think CSIDL_PERSONAL is the only choice.

It might be better to keep the constants named according to what type
of data goes there. Ie., I don't think HOME_PATH is necessarily a good
name, because it doesn't describe what belongs there.

> What about AL_(SYSTEM|USER)_SETTINGS_PATH? Right now these are (also)
> CSIDL_COMMON_APPDATA and CSIDL_APPDATA.

Okay, this is what I assume you were talking about at the beginning of
the thread. How necessary are these paths?  What is a "setting"?

If it's always a key/value pair, then perhaps a more platform natural
way of implementing these is via configuration API similar to the INI
files. This would prevent people from putting things in the wrong
place (e.g., a high score in the settings folder). Windows can place
the values in the registry where they belong, and other systems can
place them in configuration files in the proper place.

If they are kept as duplicate folders, then it will be necessary to
point out that unique filenames will be necessary to avoid naming
collisions.

--
Matthew Leverton