Re: [AD] OSS4

On Tuesday 26 August 2008, Peter Wang wrote:
> On 2008-08-26, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > On Tuesday 26 August 2008, Peter Wang wrote:
> > > What's the situation with the licence? The top of the header file is a
> > > bit scary.
> > >
> > > Also, I would prefer to move the file to
> > > allegro5/internal/oss/soundcard.h or something.
> > >
> > > Peter
> >
> > Yeah, that file is GPLv2, we can't use it, let alone include it without
> > relicensing Allegro something GPL compatible.
>
> I know this isn't what you meant, but to be explicit: Allegro *is* GPL
> compatible.

I'm not so sure it is. BSD isn't. You have to have the same sorts of
restrictions in order to be GPL compatible. We have none, its basically the
DWTFYW license.

> It's not clear that simply *using* OSS4 would require binaries that link
> with (that copy of) Allegro to comply with the GPL conditions.  As I
> understand it, the Allegro library wouldn't be linked to any GPL
> libraries, only making syscalls.

GPL only covers distribution. Code using any GPL code in any way becomes a
derivative. Its more explicit if we include the header in our package ourself,
but the problem is still there even if we don't.