Re: [AD] 4.9 on MSVC 2008

On Fri, 2008-07-11 at 04:28 -0600, Thomas Fjellstrom wrote:

> Its mainly used to make sure all symbols are in the same place and order they
> were in previous and future dlls. dll's are indexed by a simple integer under
> the hood, so if a symbol changes places, its not going to be found in the
> right spot. Or at least that's how I understood it. (all new symbols are
> appended to the end, none are removed, and none move)

I think we switch to symbol lookup - I guess it was a slight performance
advantage 10 years ago, but I doubt it can make a measurable difference
today. Of course, assuming DLL linking/loading can be made to do symbol
lookup, and someone can figure out how to do it..

Compatibility with existing .exes expecting to load the .dll with symbol
lookup is no problem with 4.9 - so now would be the perfect time to
change. But well, I'm assuming a lot of how things works, I have no idea
about DLLs. Google suggests though that the lookup-by-index we are
apparently using is only an optional feature.

--
Elias Pschernig <elias@xxxxxxxxxx>