Re: [AD] 4.9 on MSVC 2008

On July 11, 2008, Milan Mimica wrote:
> Michael Swiger wrote:
> > ./include/allegro5/internal/alconfig.h:35:42:
> > allegro5/platform/alplatf.h: No such file or directory
> >
> > Sure enough, that file didn't exist. Trent Gamblin assures me that
> > fixdll.sh works just fine for him, and doesn't check for this file
> > (which he told me is the desired behavior). I couldn't make it stop
> > checking for that file though. So I ended up running cmake . -G
> > "Visual Studio 9 2008" to generate the header, then I ran fixdll.sh
> > again, and it succeeded.
>
> I think it was me who added checking for that file, forgetting that it is
> generated. I had to do it because the list of exported opengl extensions
> depends of the platform...
>
> Anyway, I still don't understand why is allegro.def necessary? Can't we
> export symbols like we currently do for addons (__declspec(dllexport) /
> __declspec(dllimport))?
>
> The only use of allegro.def I see is to check if any symbols have been
> accidentally removed between releases. There must be an easier way to
> check, this is too much trouble.

Its mainly used to make sure all symbols are in the same place and order they
were in previous and future dlls. dll's are indexed by a simple integer under
the hood, so if a symbol changes places, its not going to be found in the
right spot. Or at least that's how I understood it. (all new symbols are
appended to the end, none are removed, and none move)