Re: [AD] v/h flip for draw_lit/trans

On Tue, 2007-03-06 at 23:16 +0100, Evert Glebbeek wrote:
> On Tuesday 06 March 2007 16:24, Elias Pschernig wrote:
> > So, it simply never was meant to do anything to blitting/sprite
> > functions.. which doesn't mean we can't change the docs. (And deprecate
> > draw_trans_sprite and draw_lit_sprite then? I always found them
> > confusing anyway.. but would need to think more if this really would
> > work out.)
>
> I don't think we should be tweaking the 4.2 API in this way. I think we
> should try to get 4.3 to do these things. ;)
>
> > Not sure if it's better to fill in extra functions, use drawing_mode, or
> > do something else. If your patch fits properly into the API (not hard
> > with 4.2 :P), I don't see why it shouldn't be applied.
>
> I do. How many 4.2 versions with new functionality do we want to bring out?
> I don't have a problem with making some more, but I really think something
> like this should go into 4.3.

I agree in principle. I just think, 4.3 isn't ready for it yet. What I
mean is, we have somewhat of a step from 4.2 to 4.3 right now. There's
just no way to start using 4.3 for games currently, without being an
Allegro dev and being ready to rewrite your code several times. Once
this step is closed and 4.3 gets useful, we certainly should push for
all new functionality going in there (or into add-ons working with 4.3).

But right now, I really think it would be nice getting out a 4.2.2 this
summer or so, with a new draw_sprite_ex, a backported al_get_time,
resizable windows, and whatever other useful stuff someone implements.
Even AllegroGL seems to be closer to an 1.0 as I thought, Milan recently
made the skater demo completely work in it (of course, the polygons are
drawn in software mode, so it's slower than the non-GL version, but
still.. my guess would have been that it crashes due to un-implemented
vtables or something).

> If you really insist, we can put the functionality in 4.3 in a 4.2-ish way
> so that it works and canbe tested, then it can be prettied up later. :)

I don't think this would be such a good idea. We could apply this patch
to 4.3 of course. But it would be of no use to anyone. Users couldn't
use it as 4.3.0 is just the first WIP, not really ready for much. And as
this would from the beginning be in the compatibility layer, it also
wouldn't be helpful for advancing the API design. At least, I fear we
will have to change internals in a rather big way at one point
(something like what I started in the xdummy branch).

--
Elias Pschernig