Re: [AD] Allegro 4.2.1 stress test

I thought ALLEGRO_USE_C was deprecated in favour of ALLEGRO_NO_ASM?

Pete

On 8/31/06, Milan Mimica <milan.mimica@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Andrei Ellman wrote:

> However, one thing I've noticed about fix.sh: fix.bat includes separate
> options for MSVC6, MSVC7, and MSVC8, whereas fix.sh is just MSVC. Do the
> extra options in fix.bat that are MSVC7 or MSVC8 specific do anything
> that would be useful in a UNIX-like environment (like Cygwin)? The MSVC6
>   Allegro builds fine under Cygwin, but I would recommend that someone
> tests building Allegro for MSVC7 and MSVC8 using Cygwin.

Yes, fix.sh misses support for MSVC7&8, but that's not a problem since
you can run fix.bat from cygwin. I built allegro for MSVC8 using cygwin
just fine.

> Also, has
> anybody tested with MinGW (both with and without MSYS) (both the MinGW
> build and the MSVC build)?

Yes. I successfully built a MinGW version (without MSVC). There was a
problem with ALLEGRO_USE_C defined though. Compilation failed because
_stub_bank_switch, _stub_unbank_switch and _stub_bank_switch_end were
double defined. And indeed, makefile.mgw says:

ifdef ALLEGRO_USE_C

# ------ build a C-only version ------

VPATH += src/c
MY_OBJECTS = $(C_OBJECTS) cmiscs
CFLAGS += -DALLEGRO_NO_ASM

else

Bank switching routines are defined in both src/c/cmisc.c and
src/c/cmiscs.s. I tried to remove the "cmiscs" from "MY_OBJECTS =
$(C_OBJECTS) cmiscs" and it compiled fine, but example programs run with
a black screen. I have no idea what could be wrong and why is cmiscs.s
added to the C-only build. The comment in cmiscs.s is quite confusing:
"Empty bank switch routines for DOS version.  Should be used together
with C versions of GFX_VTABLE routines and ASM calling convention."

I find it a minor issue because ALLEGRO_USE_C option is not even
mentioned in mingw build instructions.

--
Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net