Re: [AD] Allegro 4.2.1 stress test

Andrei Ellman wrote:

However, one thing I've noticed about fix.sh: fix.bat includes separate options for MSVC6, MSVC7, and MSVC8, whereas fix.sh is just MSVC. Do the extra options in fix.bat that are MSVC7 or MSVC8 specific do anything that would be useful in a UNIX-like environment (like Cygwin)? The MSVC6 Allegro builds fine under Cygwin, but I would recommend that someone tests building Allegro for MSVC7 and MSVC8 using Cygwin.

Yes, fix.sh misses support for MSVC7&8, but that's not a problem since you can run fix.bat from cygwin. I built allegro for MSVC8 using cygwin just fine.

Also, has anybody tested with MinGW (both with and without MSYS) (both the MinGW build and the MSVC build)?

Yes. I successfully built a MinGW version (without MSVC). There was a problem with ALLEGRO_USE_C defined though. Compilation failed because _stub_bank_switch, _stub_unbank_switch and _stub_bank_switch_end were double defined. And indeed, makefile.mgw says:

ifdef ALLEGRO_USE_C

# ------ build a C-only version ------

VPATH += src/c
MY_OBJECTS = $(C_OBJECTS) cmiscs
CFLAGS += -DALLEGRO_NO_ASM

else

Bank switching routines are defined in both src/c/cmisc.c and src/c/cmiscs.s. I tried to remove the "cmiscs" from "MY_OBJECTS = $(C_OBJECTS) cmiscs" and it compiled fine, but example programs run with a black screen. I have no idea what could be wrong and why is cmiscs.s added to the C-only build. The comment in cmiscs.s is quite confusing: "Empty bank switch routines for DOS version. Should be used together with C versions of GFX_VTABLE routines and ASM calling convention."

I find it a minor issue because ALLEGRO_USE_C option is not even mentioned in mingw build instructions.

--
Milan Mimica
http://sparklet.sf.net