Re: [AD] Alternate maling list host?

On May 17, 2005 05:17 am, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
> On 2005-05-16, Thomas Fjellstrom <tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > I'll put forward the offer a little more formally, I can host the
> > allegro mailing list on my payed host (where strangesoft.net is
> > hosted). Should be quicker and has a normal archive.
>
> What is a "normal" archive? With regard to the speed, SF has had
> problems with shell crons and CVS. Slowly, they have fixed the
> former, and announced a switch to Subversion to amend the latter
> (which IIRC should be using new hardware now anyway).

So they fixed the problem by switching to subversion... Is that why thier
"new" CVS cluster wasn't brought on line? They announced it ages ago stating
it would be on within a month of the message, its been many more months
since.. I just doubt SF can handle the load for much longer based on its
track record so far.

> Finally, what do we gain with "speed" for a non real time
> communication channel? I've never noticed email delays longer
> than a day, and even if they happened, would it be different from
> a subscriber not reading his mailbox for a week or more due to
> holidays/hospital/priorities/whatever?

I don't know about you, but having an important message not getting through at
all or with a delay of days is rather annoying. I never know if a message
will get through when I send one to a sf mailing list.

http://alleg.tomasu.net/pipermail/dev_alleg.tomasu.net/

Theres what I mean... But I keep forgetting that SF did finally provide a
decent archive a while back, then, whats SF's uptime? ;) I haven't noticed my
host go down long enough to matter in the past several years.

--
Thomas Fjellstrom
tfjellstrom@xxxxxxxxxx