Re: [AD] Alternate maling list host?

On Wed, 2005-05-18 at 13:38 +0100, Grzegorz Adam Hankiewicz wrote:
> On 2005-05-18, Evert Glebbeek <eglebbk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > One con argument I can give is that of mailinglist continuity:
> > ideally, one would never switch the mailinglist address. Of course,
> > we already switched away from canvaslink a couple of years ago.
>
> The problem with a switch is when people are unaware of the switch
> and the URL or email address disappears completely. Allegro 4.0.x has
> existed for long with pointers to the current SF mailing lists. But
> the switch should be less tragic than from Tom's mailing list,
> because the SF mailing lists will still be online forever (or as
> long as the main web page remains at SF too).
>
> If you decide to move somewhere else, we announce it here. Then,
> every month we post a message like "if you are reading this, please
> continue at http://xxxx";. And if somebody posts without subscribing
> or reading the archives, I'll (anyway have to) care of them.

The monthly reminder is a good idea - so if someone is subscribed to the
old list, but misses the switch, and is still interested in Allegro
development, that person will switch.

My other doubts against switching are all speculative, like Allegro
developers stopping to do coding and discussing only about mailing lists
instead, or the SF service suddenly gets better, or Thomas' service gets
as bad as SF's (well, the latter is probably impossible :P).

--
Elias Pschernig