Re: [AD] Building Allegro for MSVC using the latest Cygwin is broken

Julien Cugnière wrote:
Evert Glebbeek a écrit :

On Monday 07 March 2005 22:36, Wackonet Mailbag Default account wrote:

Is runner.exe only used to invoke the compiler-specific executables, or
is it used to invoke some DOS commands as well?

I'm not sure. I think it is only needed as a wrapper around the MSVC
commandline compiler, but the reason it's needed escapes me at the moment.

From src/misc/runner.c:

 *    Silly little bodge for getting GNU make to pass long commands
 *    to broken programs like the Microsoft and Watcom linkers. This
 *    tool is built with gcc, and invoked using GNU make. It echoes
* the arguments into a temporary file, and then passes that as a * script to the utility in question.

Basically, under DOS/Windows the command line is limited to 126 chars. GCC compiled programs have a way to bypass that, but it only works between themselves.

I think runner is only used for MSVC. I'm not completely sure about the
Watcom and BCC ports though.

A quick grep suggests it's used with MSVC and watcom.

I could fix runner.exe so that it checks for the exstence of the MSVCDIR environment variable, and if found, it prepends it to the front of the command-line. However, if MSVC is installed and the MSVCDIR is set and the user tries to build Allegro for Watcom, then runner.exe will try to call Watcom's EXEs with the MSVCDir prefix. One way around this is to only prepend the MSVCDir on problematic filenames such as LINK.EXE.

Does anyone know what watcom's executables are called? I only have MSVC here. Is Watcom's linker also called LINK.EXE?

AE.