Re: [AD] window resizing

On Thu, 2004-12-23 at 10:33 +0100, Evert Glebbeek wrote:
> > Can we at least allow resizing of the screen even if the user has to
> > manually call a function?
>
> There's no reliable way to resize a bitmap at present, I'm not sure the
> screen should be any different in this regard. Again, this is not

Well, what he means is, destroying and re-creating I guess. You already
can resize screen that way by calling set_gfx_mode.

> something Allegro was designed to do and implementing this so shortly
> before finalizing 4.2 is probably a bad idea. In other words, to do this
> right requires a lot of extra work and testing, and I'm not sure the
> feature is important enough to delay 4.2 for it. More so because we can
> (in principle) implement it properly immediately after 4.2 has come out.
> Besides...

I agree. It's probably too short before 4.2 to put this is. Jon, maybe
you can work this into the new_api branch. Or else, we should keep the
patch around in any case and put into 4.3. And maybe make the patch
available somewhere, if 4.3 takes a long time to stabilize (it will have
quite some changes, and some ports are not working with the new core at
all yet..) - we may release a 4.2 with the patch applied as 4.2.1 or
something. Resizing definitely is an important feature to have, should
have allowed if from the beginning.

> > I find resetting the graphics mode to be a bit
> > cumbersome and doesnt work all the time, sometimes even crashing.
>
> ... resizing the screen would almost certainly require re-setting the
> graphics mode for all intend and purposes anyway. In what sense doesn't
> this work all the time and when does it crash? That shouldn't happen and
> sounds like a bug. I'd be more pleased with fixing that than introducing a
> new feature at this point.

I only experienced the crashes in windows, but that's hard to fix. And
in X11, it resets the window position in a weird way, which I couldn't
fix in a window manager independent way (but maybe Jon's patch does.. I
should take a look at it I guess).

--
Elias Pschernig