Re: [AD] grabber ._txification

On 2004-10-24, Elias Pschernig <allefant@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Btw., there is still no solution for problems like PDF not
> containing external files, or the missing "back to contents"
> links. And adding it to makedoc isn't trivial - if the internal
> format is changed, all the output generators have to be adjusted.

Yes, the trick is to modify makedoc without modifying the format.
So far improvements have been done to the writers, but "swallowing"
external files has to be done on the reader side.

> I just looked again at the XML docs suggestion for Allegro 5 -
> and a ._tx to XML converter would be fairly easiy (i.e. just
> another makedoc output target). But, what was the idea behind
> this? Wouldn't we still need e.g. the maketexi.c?

We would. Whatever the format, there are still input and output
processes.  The main reason for using XML as input format is to have
a richer than ._tx format which accepts easier addition of features
(example: have an embedded graphic in the documentation and an ascii
aproximation in text output).  In the end, whether it is XML or ._tx,
at some point is an undocumented hierarchical structure in memory.