Re: [AD] GIF patent / support

Chris La Mantia wrote:
- PNG: PNG is dependent on two external libraries, each of which have
licenses incompatible with Allegro.

AFAIK, the latter statement is incorrect, and I'm trying to think of a way to make linpng/zlib optional run-time dependancies for the former statement.

- JPG: Again, the code necessary to decode JPG files has a license that is
incompatible with Allegro.

What is JPEGs license? I assume you mean patent, since we could just write our own code with our own license.

- GIF: We could add GIF, but we just don't like it, so we won't.  GIF files
are limited to 256 colors, and animated GIFs cannot be displayed directly
using Allegro's BITMAP system.

GIF files are not limited to 256 colors. There was a link posted in allegro.cc's forums about that a while ago, but I can't remember it off-hand. The problem is that most GIF writers don't take advantage of some facet of the format, and thus limit themselves to 256 colors. And I'm not sure if any of the GIF loaders for Allegro are aware of this either.

- Kitty Cat