Re: [AD] GIF patent / support

On Friday 08 October 2004 02:51, Chris wrote:
> Chris La Mantia wrote:
> > - PNG: PNG is dependent on two external libraries, each of which have
> > licenses incompatible with Allegro.
>
> AFAIK, the latter statement is incorrect, and I'm trying to think of a
> way to make linpng/zlib optional run-time dependancies for the former
> statement.

This would be easy for *nix systems: just detect the precesense of zlib/
libpng at configure time. Too bad this won't work on DOS/Windows.

> What is JPEGs license? I assume you mean patent, since we could just
> write our own code with our own license.

Angelo probably knows more about this issue... I think jpgalleg can't
decode some JPEGs for that reason (including those made by my digital
camera :()

> GIF files are not limited to 256 colors. There was a link posted in
> allegro.cc's forums about that a while ago, but I can't remember it
> off-hand.

This is news to me. I know gifs can be less than 256 colours, but I haven't
heard that they can be more than that. I'll have to google for that...

Evert