Re: [AD] GIF patent / support

Chris Jones wrote:
I think one of Allegro's strengths is that it's a totally independant
library that doesn't require any external DLL's or libs in order to work.
Changing this would not be a good thing, IMO.

My method, if we could get it to work somehow, wouldn't require any external DLLs of libs, either. They would be optional (checked at run time if the libs aren't built in), and PNG support would only be enabled if it can load libpng and zlib. That's pretty much how it is now, except the user needs to get and compile an add-on manually.

Also, I'm not too fond of loadpng. When I last looked, it still did some questionable things (reducing 16-bit down to 8-bit when loading, saves 8-bit bitmaps by accessing bmp->line[0] and assuming linear memory, and saving 24-bit bitmaps as 32-bit PNGs, even though 15/16-bit bitmaps save as 24-bit PNGs). Now, while I coded my game I fixed these issues, but I'm not sure if the code is still fit for general Allegro use. I can look if you want.

- Kitty Cat