Re: [AD] GIF patent / support

Peter Wang wrote:

I still think it would be nice to have a separate addon that bundles a bunch of addons together, like gif, jpeg and png support. Then we can kill two birds with one stone, almost.

Wait, that's probably too ambitious. Easier just to solve the problems with the png and gif addons:

loadpng - A bit hard to install on Windows if you try to compile zlib and loadpng by yourself (last I checked). I will update my web page to explain how to install precompiled zlib and libpng libraries for mingw. Hopefully there is an equivalently easy process for MSVC.

gif - Paul Bartrum's addon is badly written, but that's easily fixed. Another addon I've seen had some broken ideas of automatically animating gifs from a timer thread. We just need one really good one that we can point to (in the FAQ) and say, "just use that". Matthew, didn't you say you had another addon?

Peter